< Back to Protected Sites
CHRIST CHURCH LINES AT OYSTER POINT
Mount Pleasant, SC
The battery as it appears today.2
The battery as it appears today.3
1 - 2
In 1862, Confederate brigadier general John C. Pemberton reported that the Christ Church Lines were manned by 1,000 infantry, 100 heavy artillery, 200 cavalry and one field battery. In January 1865 lieutenant general W. J. Hardee reported to the War Department in Richmond that the Christ Church Lines were armed with two 24-pound barbette guns, two 8-inch siege guns, and two 24-pound Parrott guns.
In 2014, the South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust was granted D R Horton a conservation easement a second part of the Christ Church Lines. This easement protects more than 4,600 feet of the earthwork lines on the Oyster Point development.