Battery Gary Plan
Battery Gary

Battery Gary

On August 29, 1863, Thomas Jordan, Beauregard’s Chief of Staff, issued Special Orders No. 167, which named the Mount Pleasant battery as Battery Gary in honor of Captain John Gary, commander of Company A, Lucas Artillery Battalion. Gary was killed on August 13, 1863, while serving at Battery Wagner on Morris Island.

A report in April 1864 confirmed the placement of two 8-inch Columbiads at Battery Gary and listed the ammunition inventory as 286 8-inch shells, 57 8-inch shot, eight 8-inch grapeshot, and twenty-eight 8-inch canister shot. Below three 8 inch Columbiads can be seen at a Confederate battery in Yorktown, Virginia.

On August 18, 1863, as Beauregard and his staff sought to strengthen inner harbor defenses, Lieutenant Colonel D. B. Harris, Chief Engineer, was directed to construct a new battery for “heavy guns” at the site of the old mortar battery on Mount Pleasant. This fortification was placed to cover the Hog Island Channel, the inner harbor, and the bridge leading to Sullivan’s Island. The battery was armed with two 8-inch Columbiads and designed to include a powder magazine.

  TOOL TIP:

Click and Drag to Zoom

  TOOL TIP:

Click and Drag to Zoom

Designed by: Matthew A. Luke

South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust © 2015