< CLOSE [X]
Map from O.R. Atlas showing Haig's Location
This Confederate earthwork, named for the owner on whose plantation it was built, was constructed in 1863. Battery Haig and other works on the north bank of the Stono River were intended to help defend Charleston’s western approaches along the Charleston & Savannah Railroad and via the Stono River. In late 1864, Battery Haig was armed with two 24-pounder rifled cannon. It and the rest of the Confederate defenses of Charleston were abandoned when the city was evacuated on February 17, 1865. The South Carolina Preservation Trust was granted a conservation easement on Battery Haig in 2003.