< CLOSE [X]
Church Flats Battery
Image of the battery as it appears today.
Sign at the entrance to the property.
Dock near the battery.
Church Flats Battery is an extant Confederate fortification on the north bank of the Stono River in Hollywood. The battery is in excellent condition and is an outstanding example of a small fortified defensive work to protect the region from attacking gunboats. Church Flats Battery was constructed in 1863 and was strategically placed to protect the water approaches from Wadmalaw Sound into the southeast end of the Stono River. In addition to the parapet, the battery also contains a powder magazine. One Confederate report, dated January 19, 1865, notes that the Church Flats Battery was armed with two 12-pound smoothbore cannon and one 8-inch siege howitzer.
Conrad Wise Chapman, a talented artist and Confederate soldier, was directed by General P. G. T. Beauregard to paint many of the Lowcountry fortifications in 1863. One of the sites he painted was Church Flats Battery and camp. Chapman’s painting is part of the collection held by American Civil War Museum in Richmond.
Church Flats Battery is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. Using a grant from the Charleston County Greenbelt Program, the South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust purchased the battery property in 2013.