< Back to Protected Sites
James Island, SC
Engineer drawing of one of the 6 redoubts. (1865)
Aerial LiDAR image of Redoubt #3 as it exist today.
Aerial photo showing the extant redoubts in 1957.
1 - 3
Redoubt # 3 was one of six Confederate earthwork fortifications constructed during 1861 and 1862 across the center of James Island from a tributary of James Island Creek on Croskey Royall’s Plantation, south to Stiles Mellichamp’s Plantation on Clark Sound. In November 1863, it was armed with one 24-pounder smoothbore cannon.
These earthworks were collectively known as the East Lines. They were designed, with other earthworks located to the west, to protect Charleston from a Federal attack originating from the Stono River. In late 1863, when the stronger and better placed “New Lines” were constructed nearer the Stono River, the East Lines became obsolete. This redoubt and the rest of Charleston’s defenses were evacuated on February 17, 1865.
Ownership of Redoubt Number 3 was conveyed to the South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust in 2008.